Popular Posts

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My mixed metal ring

I thought it was about time I made something that I would enjoy wearing myself.I have been thinking about ring designs lately and this morning decided to try to make something cool.
Copper is no good against my skin as it leaves a green mark. I had a small piece of nickel-silver sheet,(same metal they use to make "silver" coins). It was not long enough to go around my extra large finger but I thought it would be better than brass against my skin but I still wanted the brass look so I ended up with an inner silver,outer brass,with an extra bit of brass joined in where the silver was too short.I'm very happy with the result and will wear it all the time I expect.I think this kind of ring will be ideal for hard working hands because it has a heavily hammered patinae which will help to disguise any small dings and scratches.It has been silver soldered in several places so there is no movement around the rivets and to allow the silver to be wrapped around the edge of the brass to give it a stronger smoother edge.
I think for a ring made in about an hour,pretty much from off-cuts of metal, the result is very satisfying!



No comments: