Popular Posts

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Three metal Flame ring

Here is the story of a ring I made recently. It's not really my usual style but I think it's pretty cool. I'm mainly interested in practicing and hopefully improving my metalwork and soldering techniques.

I started by sketching the flame, fairly close to the size I wanted. It took nearly a whole page of tiny flames before I was happy. I then scanned it, calculated the size in pixels and reduced it to the right size for the ring I had already made.

Next I made a mirror image to see how it would look. To actually make the flame I folded the copper sheet double and stuck one side of the pattern onto the metal with double sided tape. I then cut through both layers and annealed and unfolded the copper to get a pair of mirror image flames. As usual I didn't take enough photos of the process but will likely do a better one soon.
Here is a photo I just took showing a piece of the copper off-cut, pattern, saw blade and steel rule for scale. This shows nicely the folded copper with paper pattern still stuck to it, as used to cut two flames at once which makes them identical and also allows me to saw thinner soft copper.
The little heart was just drawn roughly directly onto a bit of nickel-silver.(I'm getting pretty good at drawing hearts now.)
I soldered the flame on as one piece to help with alignment and then cut a bit out to fit the heart, resulting in well aligned flames and a lopsided loosely fitted heart.
Next one will be better.
I have not yet tried soldering paste but I think it would be ideal for this kind of job.It's very difficult, trying to position wire solder under a copper flame and keep it all in place.
Anyhow quite happy with my three metal flame ring.

No comments: