Popular Posts

Monday, August 27, 2012

I just made another clock. This one is a very simple design, but a fair bit of work involved.
I started by making a pair of brass wings. First I annealed the brass to make it soft enough to form and then drew the wings on the reverse side.The design was based on similar tiny brass stampings which are commonly available.
The wings were fairly easy to make but did require a LOT of hammering, I think about an hour and a half for each wing.The clock mechanism is an "insert" type which makes for easy installation and reliability. You simply cut a hole the right size and push the complete clock in.I placed the wings in position beside the clock and tacked them lightly to hold them temporarily and then drew around them and the clock.The cutting was mostly done with a scroll saw. After sanding and staining, the wings were permanently nailed on. The thingy on the back is mounted so that it hangs at an angle as if flying away.If need be it could easily be moved to allow the clock to hang horizontally. I really like it, I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or keep it.

No comments: