Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Here is my latest Steampunk clock.
It is based around an old automotive spotlight.The first job was to modify it so that the front can be easily opened for easy battery replacement and resetting of the time. I used my trusty angle grinder to cut off the lip of the main light part which the clamp would normally attach to and then silver soldered an old hinge to the lamp and the first clamp.
The clock mechanism is screwed to a metal disc, which was cut to fit the rubber mount, and clamped into place.I also had to learn to cut glass circles to put a plain glass at the front where the spotlight bulb was originally.
I welded a washer into the base to attach a bolt for mounting to the base, and drilled and tapped a thread in the cast aluminium stand. I found that when the front was opened it would not stand up so I had to make a wooden base attached by screws.I also attached a magnet to keep the front closed and a couple of knobs on the outside. As you can see there was a lot of time and effort involved, glass cutting, silver soldering, welding, routing, thread tapping, mounting of the mechanism etc.I think it turned out pretty good.

No comments: